To spruce up our front entry and add color to the whiteness everywhere, I made a huge "4" out of cardboard and covered it with packing tape to sort of weatherproof it. I thought it was a very temporary piece, but it's survived 45 mph winds as well as rain and snow, so maybe it will be here longer than I thought. Here is the "4" while I made it:
|I used the cardboard boxes from the mini-blinds I used for |
the roman shades I made
|For a while I couldn't figure out why it didn't look|
quite right. Rick finally told me it was backward. :)
|Here is the first version. I covered it with |
yellow fabric before taping it up.
After I painted the front door, the yellow "4" just looked like it didn't belong, so I decided to paint it. In an effort to tie in the "v" shapes on the shutters, I painted a chevron pattern on it, and I'm not sure I like it yet. I think it looks a little goofy, but I'm not sure how to fix it, so I'll let it be for now. Here's a sort of before-and-after:
I'm still looking for a welcome mat and something to fill the urn, but since it's winter I think I'll wait on that one. At least with the snow we now have a bright, attention-grabbing entry.