It started with my trying to make a Martha Stewart recipe for gelee (essentially a fancy jello). Her recipes call for rosewater and cream as well as lychee juice, none of which I had, so I thought I'd create a tropical version with coconut milk and papaya. While it turned out okay, I think Rick was right to note that it was kind of flavorless. I had a problem with the consistency of the coconut milk layer, mostly because - and this is nasty, I'm sorry - it reminded me of spit, which completely grosses me out. Anyhow, here's that fail:
wooden blocks to print on a canvas, and here's what I came up with:
Not so successful. I think the blocks are meant for printing on fabric, so I will have to give that a try.
Next I tried to update a pretty glass cake stand I found at our local craft store for $3. I love the jadeite cake stands, so I figured I'd try to mimic that with some spray paint on the bottom of the stand. But, I wasn't thinking about the fact that the stand gets in the way of painting the entire bottom of the plate, so it didn't turn out as classy as I was hoping. :(
I think with a cake on it, it won't be so bad. But it's still not that great. It has a home with my other cake stands on top of the fridge for now.
From here I decided to recreate what I thought was a fail-proof recipe. I made shortbread cookies earlier in the week, but I used coconut oil instead of butter, so this time I decided to go one step further and use almond flour instead of regular flour, and I think this is where I went wrong. The cookies spread on the pan, and I was left with a mess of soggy almond meal. I scooped it into a bowl and put it in the fridge, and I've used it as a sweet "granola" for berries. It's tasty, but still a bit of a recipe fail.
Hopefully more successful creations to come! :)