I tried something new this week - homemade protein bars. A few weeks ago I tried a homemade Larabar recipe, and I liked it but need to tweak it and take pictures still. This recipe I adapted slightly from Jamie Eason, and while mine didn't turn out like the pictures of hers, they're still delicious, almost dessert-like. Here's the recipe I used:
Carrot Cake Protein Bars
1 cup oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. allspice
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup honey (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup stevia)
4 egg whites
8 oz. (half a bag) grated and blended fresh baby carrots (original recipe calls for baby food carrots)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix oat flour, whey protein, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
3. In a food processor, grate carrots, then blend them to make a sort of carrot meal.
4. Add carrots, honey, and egg whites into oat flour mixture.
5. Spray 8x8 in. glass pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
6. Pour ingredients into dish, and bake 20-30 minutes.
On another note, it's still a work in progress, but I think the planter beds are looking a bit cleaner today than yesterday. :)